Monday, January 30, 2012

GMG Week 2 Reflection {Ephesians 1:15-23}

Last week the Good Morning Girls studied Ephesians 1:15-23;

"For this reason I too, having heard of the faith in the Lord Jesus which exists among you and your love for all the saints, do not cease giving thanks for you, while making mention of you in my prayers; that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give to you a spirit of wisdom and of revelation in the knowledge of Him. I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened, so that you will know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints, and what is the surpassing greatness of His power toward us who believe. These are in accordance with the working of the strength of His might which He brought about in Christ, when He raised Him from the dead and seated Him at His right hand in the heavenly places, far above all rule and authority and power and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this age but also in the one to come. And He put all things in subjection under His feet, and gave Him as head over all things to the church, which is His body, the fullness of Him who fills all in all." (NASB)

How many times in my life have I prayed asking God for "wisdom" that is promised in James 1:5? How many times have I been disappointed because He didn't send some magical answer to whatever question or situation I was hoping to address? Many. I believe this disappointment stems from an inaccurate understanding of what is godly wisdom.

In the verses we studied this week, Paul is praying for his fellow believers.  He asks for wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of God.  He prays that the eyes of their hearts would be enlightened to know the hope of God's calling, the riches of God's inheritance, and the greatness of God's power towards them.  It sure seems as if wisdom relates to knowing God, as opposed to wisdom being the answer to a specific question.  Based on these verses, I think that wisdom is a result of allowing my knowledge of God, and His character, to transform me so that my choices reflect God's heart.

The second half of these verses focuses on our understanding of Christ's headship and authority. While studying these verses I asked myself, "Why is it so important to Paul to elaborate on Christ's authority and headship over the church?" and "What does understanding Christ's authority have to do with wisdom?" I attempted to answer these questions by asking myself another question; "If I really understood what Paul is saying, how would it affect my life?"

I think if I really understood Christ's authority I would have peace and confidence in doing what is right (even if it is hard or scary) because I could rest in knowing that God is powerful and in control of all things. He will empower me to do what is right and regardless of the personal consequences (favorable or unfavorable for me personally), He is in control and I am on the winning team.

I think if I really understood Christ's headship over the church and my role as part of "the body," I would have a clearer sense of purpose.  As part of the church, I am part of Christ's body, and the purpose of the body is to carry out the will of the head (Christ). If I really understood this, I would submit my life everyday to God, and I would live to carry out His purposes on earth.

As far as what an understanding of Christ's authority and headship have to do with wisdom, I think having confidence to do what is right and submitting my life to God for His purposes would probably naturally lead to wise choices.

-------------------------
I have been so blessed by these verses this week. Our family is currently making some big decisions and we have really needed some godly wisdom. I am so grateful that God gives wisdom generously when we ask (James 1:5). I know that by studying His Word and spending time in prayer and in fellowship with other believers that I am coming to know Him more and I can already see the effect my relationship with God is having regarding the development of godly wisdom in my life. Praise Him!

And finally, know that I've been praying for YOU my friends! That "the eyes of your heart may be enlightened" and that God would "give you a spirit of wisdom and of revelation in the knowledge of Him!"

No comments: