Wednesday, February 1, 2012

*Healthy* Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins

So I've been baking again! I bought a whole box of over-ripe bananas at the commissary for $1 last week so you know what that means... banana muffins!  And for some reason, I am now never satisfied to just make a recipe the way it was intended.  I am always attempting to "improve" it by making it healthier (or just plain yummier...). I actually think I succeeded with these banana chocolate chip muffins that I adapted from The Joy of Vegan Baking to include fewer refined carbs and sugar, more fiber and omega-3, and they are still just as yummy!

2 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 cup ground flax seed
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 cup agave nectar
1/3 cup canola oil
5 ripe bananas, mashed
1/4 cup water
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup chocolate chips (option: could substitute nuts if you really want to be healthy)

In a medium bowl, mix flour, flax seed, baking soda, and salt.

In a large bowl, mix bananas, agave, and oil. Stir in water and vanilla. Add flour mixture and chocolate chips. Stir to mix.

Fill 12 greased muffin tins 3/4 full and bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.

Warning! Just because there is no refined sugar (well, other than chocolate...), doesn't mean these are "low-sugar" muffins, so I would advise against letting your 1 year old have one for a bedtime snack.  It is possible that 1 year old might be interested in staying up all night :-)

PS- These are best warm, so I always pop mine in the microwave for 15 seconds if it is already cool when I want to enjoy it.

PPS- These freeze well!

No comments: