Thursday, November 28, 2013

Unshakable

American Thanksgiving isn't a religious holiday, but when I think of giving thanks, I naturally turn my gratitude to the Giver of all good things. So as our family has been preparing for this holiday we have made it a habit during prayers at bed time to discuss what we are thankful for and to include those things in our prayers. We have so much to be thankful for in this life! Family that loves and supports us, health, a secure income, a lovely home, abundant food, friends, and many luxuries. It is easy to make a list a mile long of all the things we have to be thankful for. But, I think those are just the small things. Yes, I am immensely grateful for those things, but what if I had no family or was estranged from my family? What if we had no secure income or no place to live or food to eat? What if tragedy struck our family and we lost a loved one? What if, all of the above? Because there are those for whom that is a reality and yet the Bible commands, "Rejoice always; pray without ceasing; in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus" {1 Thessalonians 5:16-18}.

It might be easy for me to rejoice, but it is not difficult to imagine circumstances in which gratitude for the hand you have been dealt might be difficult. Here is the thing, we are not called to be thankful for the hand we have been dealt in this life, we are called to be thankful to God for His presence in our life. The presence that means no matter what we are facing, He is greater than the challenge and capable of redeeming even the most terrible circumstance to work it together for the good of those who love Him {Romans 8:28}. This makes all the "small" blessings in my life that are so important to me, truly seem small. Everything is small in comparison to the One who holds the whole earth in His hand and yet cares intimately about every detail of my life.

Hebrews 12:28 says, "Since we are receiving a Kingdom that is unshakable, let us be thankful and please God by worshiping Him with holy fear and awe." My whole life could be falling apart, and yet this life is temporary and I can still praise God with thankfulness in my heart because my inheritance is a kingdom that is unshakable. "So we don't look at the troubles we can see now; rather, we fix our gaze on things that cannot be seen. For the things we see now will soon be gone, but the things we cannot see will last forever" {2 Corinthians 4:18}.

So this Thanksgiving, I am focusing my heart on the unshakable. I am thankful for all I have in this life but I am most thankful for the presence of God in my life and for the unshakable Kingdom that is my inheritance.

  • I am grateful for Jesus who made God's presence in my life possible. For the sacrifice He already made on my behalf and the righteousness He transferred to me so that I could enjoy God's presence here and now as well as for all eternity. 
  • I am grateful to be chosen, holy, and beloved. {Colossians 3:12}
  • I am grateful that my God is kind and merciful and that He is in control of all things. {1 Chronicles 29:10-20}
  • I am grateful for God's grace renewing me day by day. {2 Corinthians 4:15-16}
  • I am grateful for peace that surpasses all comprehension. {Philippians 4:6-7}
Unlike the many wonderful physical blessings in my life, these things are unshakable. And no matter what happens, I can praise God with thanksgiving in my heart because of these things. 

The following words were written by a psalmist as he relayed his frustration over his observation at the prosperity of the wicked and then realized the real blessing was not the things the wicked enjoyed in this temporary life, but God's eternal presence. These words resonate with me as I think about the subject of my thanksgiving;

"But as for me, the nearness of God is my good;
I have made the Lord God my refuge,
That I may tell of all Your works."
~Psalm 73:28

We enjoyed a wonderful celebration with some of our military family this evening. And I hope that each of you enjoyed this holiday in the presence of friends and loved ones. Most of all, I pray that as we enter this season celebrating God's love for us, that you experience the unshakable blessing of God's presence.

No comments: