Monday, October 17, 2011

GMG Week 4 Reflection

The second half of Good Morning Girls week 4 study of 1John was on the following verses;

"Do not love the world nor the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh and the lust of the eyes and the boastful pride of life, is not from the Father, but is from the world. The world is passing away, and also its lusts; but the one who does the will of God lives forever." ~1 John 2:15-17 (NASB)

Yikes! That definitely puts the fear of God in me! "If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him." Whoa!

I know that this life and everything in it is temporary. Regardless of what you believe about God, no one can deny that.  We all die and our current circumstances will no longer matter. But, sometimes just knowing that something is true still doesn't change my heart.  I know that this world is passing away and nothing lasts, buuuut I want to enjoy it while I can! I don't know how to make myself not love this world.  In theory, I am totally on board with this passage, but in practice I find it impossible to implement.

I think one of the main things I am learning through this study of 1 John is that living out the commands in the Bible takes supernatural power. Being a Christian is about more than just following "the rules" because it is impossible to follow the rules in my own power.  The Bible says "love your neighbor" and in my own power I might be able to, for the most part, act lovingly toward others, but the Bible doesn't say "act like you love your neighbor" it just says "love your neighbor" and I can't really make myself do that in the full sense of the word love. Just like I can't make myself hate worldly things.  I can deny myself worldly things... but again, that isn't the same as hating them.

Coming up against this realization that I cannot, in my own power, be the person that God wants me to be... that I cannot be the person that I want to be... is humbling. I must confess, I am a pretty prideful person and I have always taken pride in the fact that when I set my mind to something, I have always been able to achieve it.  I am a total "American" and like the feeling of having control over my own destiny.  I guess what I am describing is what John refers to as "the boastful pride of life."

So now, finding that I actually cannot just set my mind to "be a good Christian" and achieve it based on my own hard work is both frustrating and freeing. Frustrating, because I find great satisfaction in accomplishing tasks, and because I like things to get done on my time (which means, NOW). Freeing, because it takes some of the self-impossed pressure off of me to be perfect.

In whatever ways my character and heart look like Christ's, it is because of His power working in me, not my own. So instead of the glory going to me, it goes to Him. Which is exactly how it should be. So this week (and every week...) I am trusting in the supernatural power of God to change my heart in regards to loving the things of this world.

This reminds me of one of my favorite worship songs;
"Glory to God, Glory to God, Glory to God forever. 
Take my life and let it be all for You and for Your glory, 
Take my life and let it be Yours."

No comments: