Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Goal Setting in Light of the Ultimate Goal

It is the start of the New Year and I have literally spent hours assessing the past year and setting new goals for 2016 using this guide. This is important because if we don’t know where we are going, how will we get there? As I am spending these first couple of weeks in 2016 fasting and praying and committing to seek His plans rather than my own, I am curious...

What does the Bible have to say about goal setting?

Well, in my quiet time this morning I read Philippians 3. These verses give us the ultimate goal of the Christian life (3:7-11), a model for reaching our goals (3:12-14), followed by a warning about a common pit fall in goal setting (3:18-19).

For Christians the ultimate goal is summed up here;

But whatever things were gain to me, those things I count as loss for the sake of Christ. More than that, I count all things to be loss in view of the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them but rubbish so that I may gain Christ, and may be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own derived from the Law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which comes from God on the basis of faith, that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death; in order that I may attain to the resurrection from the dead.” 
~Philippians 3:7-11

The goal is to gain Christ; to know Him, to fellowship with Him, to be conformed to His image.

The model laid out in verses 12-14 is simple;

1. Have a goal.
          “Not that I have already obtained it” (vs.12)

2. Single-minded focus on that goal.  
         “...forgetting what lies behind and reaching forward to what lies ahead…” (vs. 13)

3. Put in the effort to pursue that goal.  
         “…press on toward the goal…” (vs. 14)

Most of us know step 1 and 3. But step 2 is also critical! 
If we want to pursue our current goals well, we have to forget {neglect and no longer care for} the past and focus on the future. We have to let go of our previous failures and successes. We can only really focus on one thing at a time and the goals we are currently pursuing require our full attention if we hope to attain them. 

Heaven forbid we become like those “old-timers” always talking about their glory days. We should focus on making today glorious rather than reliving the past! On the other hand, heaven forbid we allow our previous failures to distract and discourage us from pursuing the work God has given us today!

This particularly hits home with me in my period in life right now where some days I totally blow it as a mom. I lose my temper with my kids and fail to be the godly example for them that I want to be. This has happened enough times that if I look back at those past failures for even a moment I am already defeated in the present. I think, “If I couldn’t keep it together then, how will I keep it together when they up the ante?” and “Why even try, I’m only going to fail.” are the choruses in my head when I turn around and look back. I have to learn to replace those voices by keeping my eyes fixed on the future and the hope of heaven and the crown of life, righteousness, and glory waiting for me there.

Finally, a warning as we set and pursue goals for the year;

For many walk, of whom I often told you, and now tell you even weeping, that they are the enemies of the cross of Christ, whose end is destruction, whose god is their appetite, and whose glory is in their shame, who set their minds on earthly things."
~Philippians 3:18-19

How many times have I skimmed over this thinking, “Wow, how sad for those people!” when the Spirit hit me and said, “Hello, that person is you sometimes!” It grieves me to confess that, in many seasons in my Christian walk, I have been that woman, claiming Christ and seeking after my own goals. Were they evil goals? No. But the fact that I focused my heart and mind on achieving them instead of seeking Christ alone, made them idols. The truth is, I need this reminder a lot! I must remember that I am a citizen of heaven (Philippians 3:20) and as such, should be seeking heavenly things!

Today as I review and pray over the goals I have set for 2016, I am asking myself:
Why is this your goal?
How will acheiving this help you reach your ultimate goal of gaining Christ?

Goals are surely important because they help us effectively direct our time towards what matters most to us. And how we spend our time is how we spend our lives. So let’s make the most of our lives and pursue what matters for the ultimate goal of gaining Christ!

Therefore, be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise, making the most of your time, because the days are evil."
~Ephesians 5:14-21

No comments: