Thursday, June 12, 2014

Motherhood, Career, and Walking in Faith

I have often heard it said, and have likely uttered it myself, 
"Motherhood is the highest calling"
for those of us blessed with little ones to raise. 

While I agree that it is an amazing privilege, and for sure, a very high calling, I whole-heartedly believe that glorifying God is every believers highest calling. Many have interpreted the high calling of motherhood to require moms to stay home with their little blessings as long as it is financially possible. And while I think staying home with children is a very noble occupation, I don't necessarily agree with that interpretation.

I like to think of myself as a missional mom. By that, I mean that I strive to purposefully raise my kids on a "mission" to be God-following world-changers. A large part of that mission involves modeling for my children and actually following God's direction in my own life. Obviously, that direction looks different for every mom, but this is the {very abbreviated} story of what it is looking like for me right now.

For the past nearly four years now, following God's direction has kept me at home raising my babies. At times I wanted nothing more than to just go back to work, but I felt a strong conviction that home was where God wanted me during that time. Looking back, that time was so productive and fruitful, not only for my children's development, but also for my own spiritual development and refinement. I treasure those years that I got to spend every hard and every joyful moment with my children and I am already mourning the loss of that time as I approach the next season of life God has clearly set before me.

For the past seven or eight months I have known that God has been preparing me for something. For many of those months I didn't know just what it was, and I didn't imagine it would involve going back to work full time, but I knew it was coming. Only in the past couple of months has He actually revealed me to His plan for me to return to teaching. Before having children I was a high school math teacher and I loved it. After two and a half college degrees I had finally found the job that perfectly meshed with my gifts and passions and I very clearly remember feeling so fulfilled as if I was doing exactly what I was created to do.

I have always intended to return to teaching, I just thought it would probably be once my own kids were also in school. But God planted a seed of curiosity in my heart, as I renewed my expiring teaching license, about the possibility of going back, and I considered it very hesitantly and many times I dismissed it thinking, "there is no rush," but the Spirit would not let me rest when I dismissed it. The only times over the past couple of months that I have had peace, have been when I have allowed myself to hesitantly step forward in faith in the direction of returning to teaching. God has confirmed my steps every step of the way and has opened doors in unbelievable ways. Really, all I have done is step through those open doors in faith.

I don't really understand why this is happening now instead of in a few years when my kids will both be in elementary school, but I trust that God has His own reasons that I may not understand this side of heaven. I have lost sleep repeatedly counting up the pros and cons of going back to work right now, but ultimately, no list of pros and cons makes any difference when it comes to the will of the Lord. I either submit and follow, regardless of the potential sacrifice, or I miss out on the opportunity to see God work through my life and miss out on the opportunity to teach my children what it means to walk in faith.

With all that being said... I am very excited to be going back to my old job, teaching at my old school, and even the very same teaching line! And I am super excited for my children to get to go to an amazing preschool that I know they will love.  It will certainly be a challenge with my husband on his department head sea tour... but our family is always up for a challenge ;)

No comments: