Wednesday, May 14, 2014

A Family In Transition

A week ago my family boarded a plane and flew to our new home in Hawaii! My husband and I have lived here before and are so excited to share the experience of living in one of our favorite places with our two children.  I can hardly believe we actually live here again.  It is something we have been hoping for pretty much ever since we left several years back and it is a dream come true!

It has been a busy week since arriving. We settled into our hotel room, bought a car, got the dogs through the quarantine process, visited a new preschool for our children, walked through the house we are in the ironically long "short-sale" process of buying, went to see a rental property, finished my teaching application, were hailed into Sam's new wardroom, and reconnected with old friends. Plus we have made a little time for taking the kids to the beach, pool, and park of course! And we have been enjoying running outside around Ford Island in the beautiful weather.

As happy and content as we already are here, even without a place to live, we still have lots of decisions and transitions on the immediate horizon. Sam is preparing to go underway for awhile very soon, which will be a first for our children. We are trying to decide whether to continue the short-sale process or to rent a beach house instead; both options with distinct benefits and drawbacks making it very difficult to chose. I am applying for teaching positions with the hope of returning to work in the coming school year, also a first for our children. So pretty much everything in life is about to change one way or another.

God's timing is so amazing to me though! As our family is clearly in transition, our family devotions through IF:Equip are on the Book of Acts which is about the early church in transition. I am loving how God is reminding me that He is in control and He will work everything out for His glory.

Acts 1:7-8 says, "He [Jesus] said to them, 'It is not for you to know times or epochs which the Father has fixed by His own authority; but you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be My witnesses both in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and even to the remotest part of the earth.'"

I love that! It is not for me to know God's timing or His plans for our family through this transition. But what I can rely on is that He is in ultimate control and He will use me for His purposes. The Spirit will empower me for the purpose of bringing glory to God by being His witness wherever He puts me. And really, that is all I need to know to have peace and joy and contentment even through a time of uncertain transition.

As I have continued reading on and studying in the book of Acts, some pretty amazing, unlikely things happen to fulfill God's promises and far exceed everyone's hopes and expectations. And that makes me so excited for what God has for our family in this new phase of life for us! I know that His plans for us are greater than we can even dream and we are looking forward to seeing how those plans unfold!

No comments: