Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Summer "Break"

I just got on here to post about our recent adventure {potty training} and realized it has been months since I've updated this blog! Apparently I have been on a summer "break." It hasn't felt like much of a break with lots of traveling with children, a surgery for my 2 year old including two miserable weeks of recovery, an ER visit, countless doctor phone calls and visits, plus the aforementioned potty training. It's been anything but typical around our house this summer, which isn't always a bad thing, but I am one of those people who thrives on structure and routine. As it stands, I haven't been to the gym in weeks, my eating habits have become lazy, and my Bible study has been sporadic at best. These are the three areas of my life that I rely on heavily to feel healthy and balanced so after a couple of months of irregular family scheduling and extenuating circumstances, I am very much looking forward to getting back into a routine {however temporary it may be}.  Tomorrow, little Q man starts back to pre-school and with him being recovered from surgery and pretty well potty trained at this point, my fingers are crossed that we will be able to get back to our regular routine. 

Times in my life that are not routine always prove challenging for me to remain balanced. I am hoping to come up with some strategies to improve at this because we have another period of irregularity coming up soon. In 6 weeks we'll be packing out for our move back to the East coast which will kick off 7 weeks of complete chaos in which I fly the kids cross country to stay with their grandparents, hubby and I drive cross country with the dogs stopping to visit friends and do some sight seeing along the way, we spend time with family in Maryland, I fly to visit a friend in Chicago, we celebrate LK's 1st birthday with family, hubby and I get away to Hawaii, more extended family time, and ultimately arriving in Connecticut where were we will spend the winter before heading to some other unknown location. I am so looking forward to all that we have planned during this transition but I would really love to avoid getting burnt out by the end of it by maintaining the typical disciplines I have been slacking on this summer! 

Despite slipping out of my typical routine, I have had time to do some reading, and reflecting, and praying, and a lot of growing this summer. I'm sure I'll write more about some of these things in future posts. One of the reasons I have been so quiet on here all summer is that I am still processing much of what God is teaching me and don't yet have the words to express myself. Maybe I will soon... Regardless, with Q back in school a couple of days a week and nothing out of the ordinary coming up in the next few weeks, I look forward to getting back into a routine and hopefully writing a bit more!

No comments: