Friday, January 25, 2013

Humility and Wisdom {GMG Reflection- Luke 2}

In Luke 2 Jesus is born. The shepherds come to meet him, his parents follow all the Jewish laws regarding a firstborn baby boy {circumcision, redemption of the firstborn, purification of the mother}, prophets recognize Him, He spends time learning from teachers in the temple while His parents think He is lost, and He increases in wisdom and stature while living in subjection to his earthly parents.  As I spent time reflecting on the passages from this week and asking God what He wanted to teach me from learning about this portion of Jesus's life, what eventually stood out to me was Jesus's humility and the connection between humility and wisdom.

Jesus was born into humble circumstances.  As a parent I know the feeling of wanting to give my kids the very best.  We spend more money to buy organic, to buy nice clothes and toys, to give them enriching experiences and to make sure they have every comfort imaginable. Yet God, who could have literally given His Son the moon... had him born in a barn to a poor family.  {I can't imagine the hay in the manager was as soft as my children's Aden + Anais swaddle blankets...}

Furthermore, Jesus, who is God Himself spends days studying in the temple listening to the teachers and asking them questions.  He also subjects Himself to the human authority of his parents.  He, whom the universe was created through, finds it valuable to listen and learn from others.  The result of this? "And Jesus kept increasing in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and men." {Luke 2:52, NASB}

Of anyone who ever lived, Jesus had the right to be proud. And yet, He does not Lord his authority over those in His life but gives us an example to live by, even showing us the benefit of humility.  His example in this passage this week humbles me.  I have no right to be proud and yet I am.  I think now of all the wisdom I have likely missed because I was too proud to humbly really listen and consider what other people have to offer and it makes me sad.

This makes me think of James 1:5, "But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him." {NASB} Part of gaining wisdom is asking, which requires being humble enough to recognize my need.  I do not "know it all" and I need to hold on to that humility in order to gain wisdom.

Today I am laying down my pride and I am asking.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update: I want to share that only a few short hours after writing this post we hosted our church small group. During our discussion I was stressing trying to make sure everyone understood a thought I had shared. I kept wanting to say "I know that" to everything others offered in response. Then I felt the Spirit nudging me reminding me of what I had just learned and whispering to me, "what you are feeling right now is pride, and it is hindering you from hearing the wisdom I have to share with you through these friends." At that point I stopped trying to explain myself and stopped caring so much about how wise my friends thought I was, and really started to listen and consider. It was amazing to me how much godly wisdom I gleaned from my friends when I laid down my own pride. Thank You Spirit for Your conviction and for answering my prayer asking for wisdom!

No comments: