Saturday, February 11, 2012

Valentine's Cookies

Last night, hubby and I went out for a sushi date at our favorite local sushi spot in Monterey, Crystal Fish. I commented that I don't think I'll ever eat sushi without thinking of our favorite Hawaiian sushi spot, Sansei, which was were I first learned to like raw fish and was a frequent hang out of ours where we have many fun memories of karaoke nights. It got us thinking about what other things are so quintessential that we will always think of them when doing certain things.
Our last date at Sansei before leaving Hawaii

One of those quintessential things for me are my mom's dainty tea cookies.
Growing up my mom always made "dainty tea cookies" with the cookie press for Valentine's Day. Now I can't think about Valentine's Day without thinking about these yummy little almond flavored cookies.


I thought I would whip up a batch to make little Valentine treats for some friends. And in case you're looking for a little Valentine inspiration, I'll post the simple recipe here!

Dainty Tea Cookies

1 cup butter
2/3 cup sugar
1 egg
2.5 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
1 tsp almond extract
1/2 tsp red food coloring

Cream butter and sugar. Add egg and mix thoroughly. Add dry ingredients and mix. Add flavoring and coloring and mix thoroughly. Put through cookie press with heart insert onto cookie sheet and bake at 375 degrees for 4-6 minutes.

*We also make these at Christmas time with the wreath insert in the cookie press and substitute green food coloring

Quick, easy, and delicious.  But watch out... they're addictive!

No comments: