Monday, January 23, 2012

Best Ever Blueberry Muffins


In an attempt to get out of my cooking slump I vegan-ized my favorite blueberry muffin recipe. The (very healthy) blueberry muffin recipe that I adapted came from my friend Heather, who got it out of "Eating Well." I had the (un-vegan) version at her house this past summer and was in love! Not only do these muffins taste delicious, but they are great for you; made with whole wheat flour, flax seed, and no refined sugar. They are the first thing my husband requested when he picked me up at the airport when I returned from the East coast a little over a week ago:)

1/5 cup ground flaxseeds
1 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
3 tsp Ener-G egg replacer mixed with 4 Tbsp water (or 2 eggs)
1/2 cup honey (or maple syrup or agave)
1 cup "buttermilk" (mix 1 Tbsp lemon juice with any non-dairy or dairy milk- I use Almond or Soy)
1/4 cup canola oil
2 tsp fresh orange zest
1 Tbsp orange juice
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
1 Tbsp raw sugar (optional)

Preheat oven to 400 and coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray.

Mix first 6 (dry) ingredients in a large bowl. 

Mix next egg replacement and water with honey in a medium bowl. Add buttermilk, oil, orange zest and juice, and vanilla.

Add wet ingredients to dry ingredient and sit till just combined.  Fold in blueberries. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups and sprinkle with raw sugar if desired. Bake for 20 minutes. Cool in pan 5 minutes and then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.

PS- These freeze well!  After cooling I pop half of them in a ziplock and put it straight in the freezer. Thaw and enjoy any time:) 

No comments: