Saturday, September 10, 2011

Meet Sarah: Inspiration for a healthy lifestyle

I'd like to introduce you to my good friend Sarah. Sarah is the kind of woman that women would love to hate- blonde bombshell that looks like a Victoria's Secret model- except that after meeting the friendly, unassuming Sarah who doesn't have an ounce of pretentiousness in her, you can't help but adore her!
I met Sarah a little over a year and a half ago at a Superbowl party. Her husband had just gotten assigned to Sam's submarine and this was their first wardroom get together. She showed up in a Ravens jersey and I just knew we would be good friends:-P We bonded over our childlessness (wives without children were a rarity in our wardroom), our mutual love for our dogs, Navy and Ravens football, sunshine, beautiful Hawaiian beaches, and all things Maryland.

Ours was a friendship meant to be. I have been, and continue to be, so inspired by Sarah. She is one of the few people who isn't completely bored with my obsession with The Omnivore's Dilemma and I've really enjoyed discussing health and nutrition with her many times. My idea of "the vegan experiment" is due to her influence because though she was already a vegetarian, she also went vegan for a month and then accidentally became one.

Recently Sarah blogged about becoming a vegan (she refers to it as her accidental lifestyle change) and her story is so powerful and touching I really encourage you to read it and even share it. Despite Sarah's stunning looks, she has struggled with self image and eating healthy. Now she is a completely happy vegan! But don't let me spoil her story... check it out for yourself at Blonde at the Beach Blog.

Thanks Sarah for making yourself so vulnerable to share your story in order to inspire and motivate others to pursue a healthy lifestyle! I'm so proud to have you as a friend and am grateful for your influence to get me to try veganism without your even knowing it:-P

No comments: