Monday, July 18, 2011

My very own vegetable galette recipe!

If you've been following my blog through the "vegan experiment" then you've likely noticed that I have a slight addiction to these vegetable "pies" (which I learned are actually "galettes"- technically...) from Sweet Elena's booth at the farmer's market. I've been meaning for ages to try to replicate them at home and finally got around to my first attempt today. None of the recipes I found online where really what I wanted so I made my own! Which is a big deal for me because I am a shameless copycat and not really creative at all! Anyway, this didn't turn out exactly like the farmer's market one because I omitted the feta, used yellow onions instead of green onions, added mushrooms, and omitted the tomato because we were out, and I still don't know how to make the crust exactly the same... But despite all that, Sam likes my galette better! I don't know that I like it better or worse, it is just different. But very, very good and will definitely become a staple recipe for us. So without further ado...

Molly's Vegetable Galette:
Crust:
1 1/4 cups unbleached white whole wheat flour (I'm sure you could use all purpose)
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
6 tbsp chilled unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
1/4 cup all-vegetable shortening
3-4 tbsp ice cold water

Combine flour, salt, and sugar in food processor with 2 pulses. Add butter cubes and pulse. Add shortening in tablespoonful clumps and pulse. Drizzle 3 tbsp water and pulse. If dough holds together well when pinched, it is done, if not, add more ice water. Form into a disc and refrigerate for an hour. Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface till it is large enough to fill a pie plate. Lay in pie plate and cut off excess. Bake at 400 for 10 minutes, remove from oven, layer with filling, and return to oven at 350 for 30 minutes.

Filling:
Butternut squash, peeled, seeded, cubed
Yellow onion, peeled, roughly chopped
4 carrots, peeled, roughly chopped
box of brown mushrooms
6 cups spinach
2 tbsp butter
olive oil
oregano
salt and pepper
grated parmesan

Place butternut squash cubes, onion, and carrots on a baking sheet. Drizzle of oil, sprinkle with salt, pepper, and oregano. Bake at 400 for 35 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes till veggies are soft. Saute spinach in butter till just wilted. Saute mushrooms in butter till just cooked. In partially cooked pie shell layer spinach, grate parmesan over spinach, then butternut squash, onions, carrots, and mushrooms and bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

The great thing about this recipe is that you can use whatever veggies that are in season or that you prefer, and you can add whatever herbs or spices you like. So try it with your favorite veggies and spices and let me know what good combos you come up with!

No comments: