Sunday, June 12, 2011

Vegan fajitas & Sam's Favorite Vegan Soup

Since my "experiment" ended I've still been cooking mostly vegan and we've come across a couple new recipes that are definitely worth sharing! Both of these are super simple and require very little work, but are "simply" delicious!

Vegan Fajitas
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Vegan-Fajitas/Detail.aspx

I love these fajitas! And they are extra awesome because you could really just use any veggies you have on hand or prefer and they would be just as good. I took the advice of one of the reviewers and added some lime juice to the marinade. They are great just like the recipe says but would also be good with a little more "heat" so next time I might add a packet of fajita seasoning while the veggies are sauteing. But maybe not, since they were so good anyway.

I think I even prefer these vegan fajitas to fajitas with meat because fajitas with meat are kind of hard to eat. At least for a very un-graceful eater like myself... I bite down and pull and entire piece of meat out of the fajita and have it hanging out of my mouth (pretty picture, right?). And I certainly didn't miss any taste, the marinade made them so flavorful. Will be making these again soon!

Sam's Favorite Vegan Soup:
Sweet Potato, Carrot, Apple & Red Lentil Soup
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Sweet-Potato-Carrot-Apple-and-Red-Lentil-Soup/Detail.aspx

Yum Yum! Make this recipe vegan by substituting oil for the butter and leaving out the dairy topping- you won't miss it! I made this on our anniversary because we needed a quick dinner before we headed out to our church small group. It was soooo easy! And I got to use my immersion blender, which is always fun for me:) I used precooked lentils (they weren't "red" either) so I just added them 5 minutes before pureeing so they could just get warm but not overcook.

There isn't much more to say about this soup... it's really easy and really delicious. Sam loved it and it would be awesome on a cool fall day, which is pretty much what it feels like here in Monterey right now :-/

No comments: