Friday, August 28, 2015

Today's Battle

10 miles. 
My legs were able but my mind struggled! It says,
"This is hard!
And this is only 10 miles, how will you ever do 26.2?
This is only your first long run of SIXTEEN in the next few months!
You'll never make it to the marathon, might as well quit now... 7 miles is good enough."

I had to remind myself of my personal reasons for doing this:

1) Develop discipline and perseverance in my character

2) Lead by example. I want my kids and students and clients and friends to do things that are challenging for them... to not be afraid to set goals that they cannot reach without putting in serious work. So I have to do the same...

I told my mind,
"I concede that I cannot do 26.2 miles right now. I don't even know if I'll make it through the entire training period being faithful tot my plan if I'm realistic. But I CAN finish this workout today!"

So much about success in fitness {and in life!} is about tackling the battle of today. Arthur Burk says in regards to pursuing our purpose in life that, though we should seek to learn what we can about that purpose, on a daily basis we ought to ask ourselves and God,

"What is the battle I'm supposed to be fighting TODAY?"

When we keep fighting those intentional battles each day with the strength of character required to win, we will move closer to our purpose with each hard-fought step.

I am a 10 mile training run closer to completing a marathon. But more important to me, I'm one battler closer to developing a consistent habit of discipline and perseverance in my life.

What battle are you facing today?
(or what battle should you be facing today in pursuit of your purpose???)

What would it take for you to win this ONE battle today?

"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. 
Each day has enough trouble of its own."
~Matthew 6:34 NLT

No comments: