Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Weary Mama

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law."
~Galatians 5:22-23 {NASB}

"Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, this he will also reap. For the one who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption, but the one who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life. Let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we will reap if we do not grow weary. So then, while we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, and especially to those who are of the household of faith."
~Galatians 6:7-10 {NASB}

Do good. Show love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control. Do not grow weary of doing these things and in due time you will reap the benefits. I wonder if Paul had mommies in mind when he wrote this? I know God certainly did!

Q picks puffs off his little sister's tray and feeds them to the dogs. I have asked him not to do that approximately 3,967 times before. What would be so difficult about just.doing.what.I.say?! Is it not obvious that my to-do list for our upcoming move is about a mile long and mommy is holding on to her sanity by a thread and does not feel like correcting him one.more.time. for silly trivial stuff that for some reason he persists at doing? Feeding the dogs unauthorized snacks. Climbing on the furniture. Playing too rough with his little sister. Playing in the sink and slopping water all over the house. Weary does not even begin to describe how I feel on some days about trying to maintain love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control in discipling a 2 year old 24/7. Can I get an "amen" mamas?!

Too often my weariness leads my sinful heart to proclaim something like... "Forget it God! Your way isn't working. My angry, short-tempered, impatient commands are much more effective at getting the behavior I want out of my 2 year old." Yea... if the behavior I want is temporary obedience {yes please} with a side of angry, short-tempered, impatient 2 year old dictator in the near future {not so much...}. I'm sure my barking "Stop yelling at your sister!" really models the loving, kind, gentle response I want him to have when his little sister grabs one of his toys or {heaven forbid} touches his car seat. Okay God, maybe You really do have this figured out.

"Let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we will reap if we do not grow weary. So then, while we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, and especially to those who are of the household of faith." ~Galatians 6:9-10 {NASB}

While we have the opportunity... This is it. This is my chance. This time in my kids lives is my opportunity to model life in the Spirit- godly behavior even when I am feeling weary. God knows I can't do it on my own and God knows I'm gonna blow it at times, but dear God, please help me make the most of this opportunity to do good!

No comments: