Thursday, January 17, 2013

This Makes Me Want to Freeze Time {This Is Our Life Project}

We are having so much fun with this photography project!  We spent the week looking for things that make us want to freeze time as that is the theme for this week.  Technically you are supposed to pick one photo for the week because it helps you improve your photography skills? But I can't help but documenting the rest because for me this project is about more than improving photography skills, it's about our life and I want to remember these things!
Fav pic of the week
This isn't the best picture in the world by any stretch of the imagination but there are so many reasons I love it.  I love where we live right now, the view from our front porch is beautiful Monterey Bay and we have the most gorgeous sunsets almost every evening {not that you can tell from this picture... next on my photography to-do list is to learn how to properly expose outdoor pictures}. 

Who wouldn't want to freeze a beautiful sunset?  It is my second favorite time of day when the light is just perfect and hazy {despite what it looks like in this picture...} and no matter how hectic the day has been everything seems to slow down and I get this inner sense of calm. 

Another thing I love about this is that my whole family is together doing one of my favorite things {well... LK is in the stroller that you can barely see the front of on the left}. I love to go for walks after husband gets home from work. We take a soccer ball for Q to kick around and we take a chuck-it to play ball with the dogs and husband and I get to talk about our days without the distraction of dinner to be made, toys to be picked up, a television or computer competing for our attention. I would love to stay frozen in experiences like that when we are appreciating our family togetherness fully.

Final thing I would like to freeze about this is husband being home. In this picture he is wearing his uniform because it was a Tuesday, the one day of the week they wear uniforms at NPS.  Furthermore it was "warrior day" so he is wearing the uniform he typically wore when working on his submarine. This is a reminder of how precious this time on shore tour is, when he is home every night, generally before sunset, and can take part is family walks with us. As a military family, we don't take this for granted.

 This is me skunking husband in cribbage!  If you knew how rare it is for me to ever beat him at any game, much less skunk him at this particular game, you would know why I want to freeze this moment!  We have been enjoying turning off the television a little more and playing games together in the evenings after the kids go to bed... another activity and time of day I would like to freeze :-)
little clothes
 I love love love little clothes! I really enjoy shopping for my kids clothes, particularly my daughters.  And I honestly really enjoy doing their laundry. It is the one housework thing that I really look forward to. Please do not try to "help out" by folding my kids clothes for me... that literally steals my joy- haha! The reason little clothes make me want to freeze time is of course little children grow out of them too quickly! LK is about to grow out of some of my favorite outfits shown on the right and I just can't bear it; the thought of her growing up and the thought of her never wearing them again! 

Okay... I know it's cliche, but I can't help it... she makes me want to freeze time! She is likely our last little one and she is just growing up way too fast! Slow down sweet girl and let mama soak it all in!
Tickle Torture
And finally... tickle torture with Q makes me want to freeze time.  I love snuggling him just before bed and listening to his hysterical laughter as he demands "again! again!" I know all too soon he won't be interested in snuggling his mama and rolling around laughing with me so I'm soaking it up now while I can.  If only the whole day could be this much fun :)

No comments: