Friday, January 4, 2013

one thousand gifts {Currently Reading}

Over the past couple of days my husband and I had the chance to get away to wine country while our children enjoyed time with their grandparents. We enjoyed wine tasting, chatting with new friends, actually tasting our food {as opposed to stuffing food down while attempting to avoid a meltdown from one of the children}, and sitting by the fireplace in our room reading. Reading. Something it seems I rarely have time for as a mom of two! In fact, on this trip I finally got around to reading a book given to me almost two years ago, not long after my son was born, by my cousin who thought it might be encouraging to me. Thank you sweet cousin, I love the book! And I am actually grateful that it took me this long to read it. The book is a spiritual memoir of sorts and I feel like I was able to really identify with the author based on the lessons I have learned over the past couple of years that were echoed in her words.

The book is "One Thousand Gifts" by Ann Voskamp. In it she explores the relationship between giving thanks and joy, a relationship which she discovered through keeping a journal listing one thousand {and even more} "gifts" from God that she noticed all around her. She discovered that through the practice of naming gifts and giving thanks for everything from the little things to the hard things, she was able to experience a full life of joy. Through the story of her own personal journey of developing intimacy with God and experiencing joy in her relationship with Him, she learns the fundamental importance of giving thanks, which builds trust, resulting in true faith and joy.

Reading the book felt like having a deep conversation with a trusted friend. Her contemplative approach to life is enlightening and her revelations helped me to connect some of the things I have been working through in my own life.  If you are looking for a good book to help you think about what your own role in experiencing true joy is in life, this is a great read.

"This is the crux of Christianity; to remember and give thanks, eucharisteo. Why? Why is remembering and giving thanks the core of the Christ-faith? Because remembering with thanks is what causes us to trust-- to really believe." (p.153)

No comments: