Sunday, December 2, 2012

Hope {Advent- Week 1}

"Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, 
so that you will abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.
~Romans 15:13 (NASB)

This first week of advent we look forward to celebrating the birth of our Savior by focusing on the hope which His coming has brought believers throughout time, and the hope that we have because of Him.

Recently, my husband and I have been reflecting on the past year thanks to working on our son's 2 year photo album as well as writing an "update" message for our Christmas cards. It feels like it has been a good year, yet, on paper it sounds pretty terrible. {for example, every single member of our immediate family has been admitted to the hospital for emergency care at least once this year} What has made this somewhat challenging year a good one is seeing how God has used each challenge to bring us closer to Him and to grow us in maturity. Romans 8:28 says, "And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose" (NASB). We have experienced the truth in that promise this year.

I am grateful for my faith because even in the midst of difficult circumstances I have hope.  Hope that God will use my experience for good.  This hope comes from my relationship with God that is only made possible through Jesus. And thus, I am anxiously looking forward to celebrating the birth of the One who gives me hope. Hope to make it through the good days and the bad. Hope because I am confident of something greater than my current circumstances.

Currently some close friends of ours are going through a very difficult time.  Life's current circumstances have been heartbreaking and emotionally trying for them {and all of us who love and care about them}. They are still walking through the unresolved difficult circumstance, and while my heart breaks for them such than I can't stop tears from coming when I pray for them, I am also full of hope and even excitement for them. I know that God is in control of the circumstance and I fully trust that He is going to bring about good for them through this experience because they do love Him and they are seeking Him in the midst of this. I am excited for what God is going to do because of how powerfully God has worked in me through my own personal difficult circumstances this year.

How incredible is it that even in the midst of trials we still have hope?! I am so dependent on that hope that I truly do not know how I would live without it. Praise God for giving us hope! Praise Him for sending His Son!

No comments: